DESCRIPTION(last modified February 19, 2017 )
The original Dublin tram network opened in 1871 (initial horse tram); electrification took place in 1901. Tram service was finally closed in 1959.
At the end of years '90s Dublin was in a rapid rising economic phase and its municipalty launched the construction of a modern mass transport system (LRT/tram), based on 2 radial lines (Red Line, Green Line) converging in the city centre.
Both tram lines opened in 2004: Red Line from Connolly to Tallaght, Green Line from St. Stephen's Green to Sandyford. Red Line was extended in 2009 (Busaras-The Point) and 2011 (Belgard-Saggart), Green Line was extended in 2010 (Sandyford-Brides Glen).
HISTORY(last modified February 19, 2017 )
|1871||first horse tram opening||--|
|1959||tram network closure||--|
|05-07-2004||St. Stephen's Green-Sandyford||Green Line|
|08-12-2009||Busaras-The Point||Red Line|
|16-10-2010||Sandyford-Brides Glen||Green Line|
(last modified February 19, 2017 )
Single line length (Km)
Single line stops
Single line avg. distance (km)
Total track length (km)
Total network stops
Avg. stop net distance (km)
750 V DC overhead
standard gauge rails (1435 mm)
Citadis 301,Citadis 401,Citadis 402